Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Our Landscape

I woke up in dewy grass, underneath a lavender sky. The palate was sprinkled with twinkling diamond stars suspended in particulate mist. I felt at peace. Slow waking movements. Blinking a lazy shutter with smiling eyes and opium bliss. I could finally draw a deep, satisfying breath.

“What wants he but to catch earth’s heedless sons and daughters.” I thought as I rose to my elbows. Yet just as the vision had clipped it’s instantaneously conjured memory, the grass turned to frosted Ice, and the pastel magnificence of that unknown beauty………vanished…. with a whisper. Barely known.

A low frequency boomed into life, and rattled through my chest. Like the growing bass that preceded some disastrous event. The lone tree in sight bled silver from its uppermost limbs, and shook all leaves. They fell as if cast away, and blasted to ashes before they were to ever reach the ground. The lavender mist swirled like a closing curtain, spiraling its glittering orbs toward a central point. Their speed increased, and once drawn toward the center were gathered to a single point of light amidst the absolute black, and obliterated in an unheard sphere of destruction. The blast wave multiplied as is rippled across the nothing, trailing bits of that happy sight as is disappeared into the vast void of incomprehensible distance.

I was alone. Yet, accompanied by my tree, I did not despair. For from their frozen enclosure, the roots of this lingering biological column pulsed faintly with the tiniest traces of ultraviolet hope.

I tilted my head just slightly askew, and wondered if I had imagined it. And then, as if forced into reality from my thoughts, streaks of black light traveled from its base, and along its ancient contours with a crackling electric sound.
I managed a smile, and seated myself on a patch of dead Ice. I leaned on my last little bit of hope, and fell asleep. Dreaming of that place, and that tree, and how everything had changed. Everything.

No comments: